Thursday, February 2, 2012

Taylor Swift No Longer Going To Ruin Les Miserables

A few weeks ago, I had une dépression nerveuse upon learning that teen pop sensation Taylor Swift had been cast as Eponine in the movie musical version of Les Miserables. To be more specific, I believe my actual reaction went something like this:


Swift is an adorable girl and great at what she does. (See? I’m a nice person.) But to put her in the movie version of the best musical ever seemed disrespectful to not only its fans, but to everyone who fell in love and then died via gunshot wound in the French Revolution. The entire feel just wasn’t right. Would I have still seen the movie?

But now we learn that Swift has been cut from the film’s impressive roster to make room for British actress Samantha Barks, who played Eponine in the 25th Anniversary Concert for Les Miserables. Samantha is a much more appropriate choice for the part, in that she is not Taylor Swift, and also has a nice singing voice. 

Ahead, you can check out Samantha singing “On My Own” during the 25th Anniversary Concert. She’s very, very good, though frankly, I don’t think I’ll be satisfied with this casting until someone figures out a way to produce a time machined young Lea Salonga.

Samantha joins the Les Misérables production, directed by Tom Hooper alongside Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean, Russell Crowe as Javert, Anne Hathaway as Fantine, Sacha Baron Cohen as The Innkeeper, and Helena Bonham Carter as his wife. Amanda Seyfried has been rumored to be playing Cosette, which I’d be OK with. As long as none of the Jonii get cast, I have no complaints. 


No comments:

Post a Comment