Monday, January 9, 2012

A Few Thoughts On The Les Miserables Movie

It’s taken me a few hundred hours to absorb the recent news that Taylor Swift has been cast Eponine in the movie musical version of Les Miserables


In this movie musical version of Les Misérables in production, directed by Tom Hooper of The King’s Speech fame, most of the characters have already been cast: Hugh Jackman as JVJ, Russell Crowe as Javert, Anne Hathaway as Fantine, Sacha Baron Cohen as The Innkeeper, and Helena Bonham Carter as his wife have been confirmed, with Amanda Seyfried possibly getting the part of Cosette. Most of these picks seem OK — Hugh and Anne being the most obvious. Taylor Swift was being offered the part of Eponine, she of “On My Own” and “A Little Fall Of Rain” fame. And I was like:




I KNOW WHAT YOU’RE TRYING TO DO, TOM HOOPER.
 

You think that by putting Taylor in your movie, more young people will sign on to see it. And you may be right. But guess what? She will ruin the greatest work of art of our time.

I secretly wish the movie would have been made up of the lesser known stage performers who have given their lives over to the work. 

Now the real question: Who would make a good Eponine? Lea Michele seems the obvious choice, however I don’t think the world would be prepared for how obnoxious she’d be if she landed this role of a lifetime. Can Natalie Portman sing? (God, I hope not.)


THE END, WHERE I CRY




No comments:

Post a Comment