Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Facebook App Can Leave a Farewell Message for Your Friends... After You Die

So here's an uplifting question for you: do you ever think about what your last words to your family and friends will be? And have you ever dreamt that you might leave your final thoughts on... Facebook?

0111-facebook-death-app_vg.jpg

If I Die is a new Facebook app that lets you pre-program farewell videos and messages to appear on your wall after you die. You appoint three "trustees" who need to confirm that you have actually died in order to trigger the messages to post, and then--voila! Your 384 friends are looped in.

Huh. Okay. Well, here's one thing I like about this: it makes you think about some of the logistics of what'll happen after you die. Not in a morbid way. The fact is, about 55% of American adults don't have wills and they totally should. Illness and accidents can (and often do, unfortunately) happen quickly--it's a really, really good idea to plan ahead. Just saying.

But leaving your final words on Facebook? I can't explain why, but it feels kind of bizarre, like messing with the space-time continuum. I don't even know how I'd react to a friend's farewell on FB. And if I left a goodbye message, I just know that the recently-departed-but-still-neurotic me would worry that my final thoughts hadn't gotten enough "likes."

No comments:

Post a Comment