Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What Your Coffee-Sipping Speed Could Mean For Your Teeth

So what's your coffee-sipping style: do you drink a cup slowly over the course of a morning, or do you gulp it down quickly? The answer might impact your teeth...

1114-latte-cavities_vg.jpg

My coffee is one of my favorite parts of my morning routine--I like having it while I sit down at the gym before going to work. And because I like it so much, I'm a slow-ish sipper. Savoring it is the name of the game.

And apparently this "coffee nursing" may be contributing to an increase in adult tooth decay. According to Seattle dentist Heidi Hackett: "The constant exposure to the lactose or milk sugar is giving the bacteria in the mouth a flood of raw fuel or 'food' to metabolize.'"

According to Hackett, drinking your latte within 15 minutes is A-OK; sipping it all morning long is where your teeth get into trouble. But, she says, you can drink some water or chew sugarless gum to help neutralize the acids in your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment