Thursday, October 6, 2011

RIP, Steve Jobs

Today, Apple founder and CEO Steve Jobs passed away at the age of 56. And as we remember his life, I wanted to share something he taught me, that I try to remember every day...
1006-steve-jobs_vg.jpg
After battling pancreatic cancer for several years, Steve Jobs died today at his home, with his family by his side. Wired.com featured a moving tribute to the Apple CEO and founder, and when they quoted an Apple statement saying “the world is immeasurably better because of Steve”--I nodded, because it's true. 

As I sit here and type this blog post,  I want to share this important life lesson --one that has become even more meaningful to me today : Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. (Steve Jobs)


And so that's the beautiful life lesson I will always thank Steve Jobs for. Today, live life fearlessly, authentically, passionately and creatively--in his memory. RIP Steve Jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment