Friday, May 25, 2012

Robert Pattinson In Catching Fire? Here's Why If This Casting News Is True, It's the Worst Idea Ever!

Hunger Games fans, what would you say if I told you rumors are swirling that Robert Pattinson may be headed to Panem? Nothing is confirmed just yet but if Francis Lawrence, the director of Catching Fire, has his way--RPattz could be entering the arena as the deeply handsome and charming fan favorite--Finnick Odair.

524_robert-pattinson-kimmel_sm.jpg

And here's why I think this is the worst idea ever.

Everyone associates Rob with Twilight. It made his career, Twilight paved the way for the fandemonium surrounding the Hunger Games and I would go as far to say that there are people out there that even think Rob's real name is Edward Cullen. It would be too confusing--like if Emma Watson suddenly switched gears from playing Hermoine in Harry Potter and was the one cast as Katniss.

524_robert-pattinson-kristen-stewart-twilight_sm.jpg


I think it's okay if a famous actor plays Finnick--but I really think it hurts the movie to cast one that's already a pop culture icon. Love or hate Twilight, Rob has now played Edward in five Twilight movies. To me, Rob showing up in the Hunger Games cheapens it and makes it seem like a Twilight/Hunger Games crossover--you know, the way Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel did back in the day. I would be waiting for Edward to start fighting werewolves and sparkling in the sunlight instead of taking on the Capitol.


524_robert-pattinson-scruffy_sm.jpg


But while we're talking about Finnick--who in the world should play him? He's a major and game changing character in Catching Fire. Finding our Finnick is as exciting to me as casting Christian Grey (for the record, I say a big N-O to Rob taking on that role too--especially with Kristen Stewart as Anastasia Steele--for the same reasons I laid out above). 


For those who need a quick refresher on Finnick: He's one of the most popular former Hunger Games competitors, famous for wielding a trident to claim his victory. He's basically a living, breathing, slightly arrogant Greek God--with amazing green eyes, a good heart and heart-wrenching love story. So ladies, who do we want for our Finnick? Someone fairly known and waiting for that breakout role--kinda the way Rob was before he was cast as Edward? Names that have floated around include Chris Zylka (Secret Circle and this summer's Spiderman) and Taylor Kitsch who has proven he could handle the arena with movies like John Carter and Battleship.
524_taylor-kitsch_sm.jpg

Or do we want a hot star we're already well acquainted with like Channing Tatum or maybe Jake Gyllenhaal?

524_channing-tatum-red-carpet_sm.jpg

My head is spinning thinking about casting Finnick but I maintain my anti-Rob stance. So, I leave it to you my friends . . . make your suggestions, offer your opinions and don't be afraid to hold back on who you want as your Finnick!

No comments:

Post a Comment