Friday, May 11, 2012

Chew Sloooow--the Important New Reason Why

Are you a fast eater? I'm guilty, and I blame my crazy-busy schedule. But, there's an important new reason for me, and you, to chew a little slower and savor our food longer...

0509-diet-nutrition_vg.jpg

Healthy experts have long warned that fast eating can lead to weight gain, but what you might not realize is that wolfing down your food can also lead to another health consequence: I higher chance of developing type 2 diabetes. Eeks!

Lithuanian researcher found that speedy eaters were two and a half times more likely to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes than those who eat at a more snail-like pace. 

The researchers aren't sure exactly why this is the case, but it's worth remembering next time you're sitting down to a meal. (And, interestingly, consider sipping on coffee with your meal: The same team found that drinking two cups of coffee per day also slashed the risk for diabetes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment